Rock bass is a kind of fish that can be an impressive dish in your meal. Though it originated from North America, its fame is all over the world. There are a lot of newbies who are eager to try this fish. But, they doubt its original taste. Their common question is- “are rock bass good to eat?”.
Yes, rock bass tastes good in any conventional cooking style. Their mild flavor along with the well-textured flesh must seem appetizing to the mouth. So, eating rock bass won’t be either a bad experience or a waste of money.
Besides, rock bass comes with some health benefits. If the rock bass is adequately cooked, you need not consider any significant health risks. On the other hand, If you want to feel the authentic taste of the rock bass, you can follow the depicted cooking directions.
What is Rock Bass?
Rock bass is familiarly known as a freshwater fish. It’s a member of the sunfish family and so, it can’t be defined as a true bass. Along with its rock bass name, it’s also known as google-eye, black perch, and rock sunfish. Rock bass comes with an olive-brown or bronze color on the back as well as its sides. A striped appearance is observed in the centers of the scales. This fish is usually 20-25 cm long and weighs up to 3 pounds. They have 10 to 13 spines attached to the dorsal fin.
In brief, have a look at the biological description of rock bass.
Are rock bass good to eat?
The question “are rock bass good to eat?” depends on the testing preferences as well as the recipe. Its flesh tastes great like other freshwater fishes. The flaky, white-colored flesh reminds the consumer about the sunfish. People all around the world prefer trout over bass. However, rock bass isn’t a true origin of the bass and so, it tastes absolutely amazing.
The texture of their meat is different and seems stronger than other panfish. Their firm and tender texture in meat make them highly edible. Besides, they don’t have a lot of bones and so, it’s easy to eat.
Rock bass doesn’t come with a huge fishy flavor. Its mild and exceptional fishy flavor makes it interesting to food lovers. You can make fry, curry, and many more recipes using rock bass. Therefore, the taste varies according to the cooking policy.
Health Benefits of Rock Bass
The rock bass comes with some health benefits. Along with providing sufficient minerals for your daily life, it also supports your immune system. Here are some mentionable health benefits of rock bass.
A big source of nutrients
Rock bass provides a huge amount of minerals like calcium, iron, and others. It comes with 7% vitamin A which is enough in comparison to other fishes. The rate of calcium and iron in rock bass flesh is 2% and 4% respectively. Its flesh also contains 5% thiamin and 8% riboflavin. Rock bass is familiar for providing a great amount of magnesium. It offers 12% of magnesium from its meat which helps to reconstruct the human bones sturdily.
Provides selenium to consumers
Selenium is highly effective against various kinds of cell damage. Its powerful antioxidant property makes it effective in an instant. This ingredient from rock bass also prevents developing risky lung cancer. People suffering from coronary artery diseases can rely on this antioxidant.
Along with this, selenium can reduce mental stress. Even people with Parkinson’s problems notice the decrease of their symptoms after eating this fish.
Supplies energy for your daily work
Rock bass comes with a big amount of protein as well as fat. So, you can get a great number of calories for your daily work. Generally, there is 4.4 g fat and 40.2 g protein in every 6 ounces of the rock bass. That means you can get approximately 210 calories from its flesh.
However, an average calculation shows that you’ll get 80 calories per serving of rock bass. Usually, the amount of cholesterol and sodium in rock bass is 30 mg and 55 mg respectively.
Good source of fatty acids
Rock bass is a good source of omega-3 fatty acid which is essential for the human body. Though rock basses don’t have rich amounts of omega-3 like herring and oysters, their amount is sufficient. It’s found that a 149-gram well-cooked rock bass contains 355 mg of docosahexaenoic acid which is known as DHA.
Besides, it also comes with 159 mg of eicosapentaenoic acid which is known as EPA. The omega-3 fatty acid is nothing but the long chain of DHA and EPA. This fatty acid is popular for reducing the risk of cardiovascular risks. It’s also effective against clumping the blood platelets one with another.
What is the cost of buying rock bass?
The cost of bass varies depending on the region, availability, and many more factors. Besides, the pricing also depends on the size of the rock bass. Generally, a rock bass ranges between 6 to 10 inches. If they are long enough and weigh over a pound, then the cost will be more than $15. The pricing can’t be ensured as the transport cost, economic condition, market policy, etc. aren’t equal in all regions.
How to fish rock bass?
Catching bass isn’t either easy or difficult. It’s all about following some strict methods. Here are some useful methods of catching bass with the elaborated steps.
Using live baits
Live bait options is convenient for the fishermen according to the cost. Besides, it’s one of the efficient methods and time-saving also. Let’s know how to catch bass using live baits.
- The first thing to do is pick bait for fishing bass. You can use worms, crawfish, and minnows. We recommend using worms for the best output.
- Attach the worms with the head of the fishhook carefully.
- There are different types of fishhooks and so, their operating method is various. Carefully put the baits inside the water and let the fish catch the bait.
- Wait for a certain time so that the fish gets attracted to the bait. Once the fish is trapped properly, bring the fish out of the water.
Getting the fish with crankbait
Crankbait attracts rock bass and it’s super easy to catch them. Here are some tips you should follow to fish the bass.
- Put your lure on your line at the first attempt.
- Now throw the sinkable part of the bass fishing pole into the water. After a while, the lure will sink to the bottom of the water.
- Gently wait by sitting in front of the pole. Once you find the rock bass is knocking your lure, pull the rear side of the pole. Start creating the movement of the lure so that the rock bass thinks that it’s a real fish.
- The next step is pretty simple. Use the fishing method and get the fish as soon as possible.
Using jerk baits
Jerkbait is a kind of bait similar to the crankbait. They look colorful and easily noticeable. So, in shallow water or dense lake, jerk bait is highly dependable. You can easily use jerk baits to fish bass by following some easy steps.
- Put your lure on the line like you were doing with the crankbait.
- Jerk baits float to the medium position of the water. So, the fishes in this position will be attracted soon. When you realize that they’re trapped in your trap, simply catch the bass.
- There might be a chance of escaping the rock bass in case they’re not perfectly trapped. So, gently bring the fish out of the water.
How to cook and prepare rock bass?
Cooking rock bass is as simple as other fishes are. You can use various ingredients to make the rock bass dish delicious. By following the depicted cooking process, you can get some delicious rock bass recipes.
Pan grilled rock bass recipe
First, have a look at the necessary ingredients. Without using these or using these ingredients in an improper quantity can destroy the taste of the fish.
- Rock bass (200 gm)
- Spices (garlic, onion, turmeric, etc.)
- Butter (2 tablespoons)
- Sliced lemon (2-3 slices)
- Salt (0.5 tablespoons)
- 2 spring fresh thyme (optional)
- Herb mixture (3 tablespoons, optional)
Here is the elaborate process of making a rock bass pan grill.
- Slice the rock bass in the necessary pieces first. You should use a chopping board and sharp knife in clean condition.
- Wash the slices of the fish in the rinse of water. Let the blood and other dust split away from the fish.
- Now, dry both sides of the sliced fish using a paper towel. Using a knife, gently score the filet in several spots. It’ll help to enter the spices inside the flesh properly.
- Add salt and pepper to mix the fish properly. You can also add turmeric and other optional ingredients if you want.
- It’s time to heat about 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Keep it in medium heat before keeping the filet in the pan.
- Now, put the fish slices on the pan and cook them for about 5 minutes.
- Now, flip the side of the filets and cook them for another 5 minutes.
- The last move is to keep the pan at rest for 3-5 minutes. Then, serve the grilled rock bass with the slices of lemon and enjoy.
Rock bass fry
To make the delicious rock bass fry, you need to use the following ingredients.
- Rock bass (200 gm)
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1-½ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Garlic powder (1 teaspoon)
- Thyme (1 teaspoon)
- Soya bean oil
Follow the following steps to cook rock bass fry.
- Pour the pan with oil which must be filled with at least 4 inches depth. Start heating the oil at 375-degree temperature.
- Mix the aforementioned ingredients in a bowl. Add all the ingredients and make a mixture – that’s all you have to do.
- Now, wash the fish slices with a water rinse, and let them dry.
- After drying the slices, pour them into the mixture of all the ingredients. Marinate the fish slices properly so that the mixture is nicely added to the slices.
- The last move is to put the slices in the hot oil inside the pan. After around 4 minutes, the slices will turn into a golden brown color. Then, take the slices out of the pan and enjoy the delicious fries.
Rock bass spring roll
Rock bass can also be eaten as a side dish if you don’t want to eat the fish directly. It’s a common dish to use fish as a roll ingredient. You’ll need the following ingredients to prepare a rock bass spring roll.
- 1 lb. fresh rock bass fillets
- Sesame oil (2 tablespoons)
- Fish sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Rice vinegar (2 tablespoons)
- Palm sugar (2 tablespoons)
- Onion powder (½ tablespoon)
- Minced garlic (1 tablespoon)
- Cornstarch (1 tablespoon)
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- Frying oil
After gathering all the ingredients, you can cook rock bass spring roll precisely. Here are some tips for making the dish super delicious.
- Put all the ingredients except for the frying oil in a food processor. Keep pulsing the ingredients until they turn into a dense paste.
- It’s time to place a quarter cup of the mixture in the middle of the spring roll wrapper. After that, you should roll them into the spring roll.
- Now, make a glue-type liquid by mixing the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. It’ll be used to seal the opening paths of the spring roll.
- Now, heat the oil at a high temperature. After a while, put the rolls in the oil and fry them properly. The estimated time of frying is 5-6 minutes.
- When it’s fried properly, take the rolls on a serving plate and serve with your preferable sauce.
Which flavors are most popular?
Bass fish come in various types. Depending on the types of the bass fish, the flavor of its flesh varies. According to fish lovers, largemouth and smallmouth bass are the most popular flavors. Their white flesh with tender texture makes it highly edible in lunch or supper. Though it tastes a little fishy, its fishy flavor is the most accepted one. In case you’re interested in knowing rock bass flavors, it’s near the aforementioned bass type.
Are there any health risks?
Generally, rock bass doesn’t create any impact on the human digestion system as well as lifestyle. But, there is a chance of bacterial attack if it’s not washed or cooked properly. The parasites living inside the fish can’t tolerate high temperatures.
So, if you want to ensure the highest safety, cook them along with washing them with proper manners. However, taking rock bass daily can affect your food habit as well as testing buds.
Having some questions on the taste of rock bass? Then, this section may help you with some common questions along with the answers.
Why do people not eat rock bass?
People who don’t eat rock bass aren’t fond of any kind of bass most often. They can’t tolerate its scent and taste. Another point is, people, don’t find plenty of flesh from the rock bass in comparison to its size. So, a few people don’t have any interest in this fish.
Does eating bass taste good?
Yes, according to the fish lovers, the taste of bass is admirable. Its meat comes with a flaky texture and fewer bones. Anyone can easily cook it preferably and can take various tastes. Like other freshwater fish, the eating experience of bass is also great.
Are rock bass considered panfish?
The specifications and origin of rock bass indicate that it’s not the panfish. But, technically, they have some similarities and so, people get misguided. It’s considered that rock bass is a member of the sunfish family, but not panfish.
Is rock bass hard to catch?
No, catching bass is easier than any other freshwater fish. Rock bass gets fooled easily if you apply to bait on them. You can use live baits, crankbaits, and many more to catch this fish. Once they are trapped, they can’t easily escape from you.
Rock bass is a great source of protein, minerals and the cure for many fatal diseases. Catching rock bass is a kind of fun for the local people. But, why don’t you try this delicious fish once? You may be confused about “are rock bass good to eat?”.
The answer is nicely described in this writing so that you can make your own decision. If you’re intending to try this fish, we recommend trying the fried item first. You also know how to grill rock bass and how to make a rock bass spring roll. So, you have a lot of options to taste this fish.
To catch the rock bass, you need to wait for a certain time. Staying calm and quiet brings the rock bass to you faster. However, keep that in mind that from catching the fish to cooking- you should maintain all hygienic manners.